Scientists have suggested that the amount of time that asthma patients spend in the sun may have an impact on their illness. A research team at King's College London said low levels of vitamin D - made by the body in sunlight - has been linked to a worsening of symptoms. Its latest research shows that the vitamin calms an over-active part of the immune system in asthma, the BBC ...
Britain's first "official" astronaut, 41-year-old Major Tim Peake, has been selected to go on a five-month mission to the International Space Station in 2015, a media report said Sunday. Peake, a former army helicopter pilot, graduated as a European Space Agency astronaut more than two years ago and has been waiting for a space mission since then, the Guardian daily said. However, Peake has ...
The returnable capsule of a biological research satellite landed in Russia Sunday, bringing mice, Mongolian gerbils, geckos and various micro-organisms and plants back to Earth after their month-long flight, the Mission Control said. The capsule landed in Orenburg region near the border with Kazakhstan. The descent vehicle separated from the equipment module of the Bion-M spacecraft at 6.32 ...
NASA has revealed that a boulder-sized meteor slammed into the moon in March, causing an explosion so bright that it was visible to the naked eye on Earth. Though about 300 lunar impacts have been logged over the years, NASA scientists consider this latest impact, from March 17, much brighter than anything else observed, News.com.au reported. "We have seen a couple of others in the 'wow' ...
Fair skinned people are known to be at higher risk for skin cancer and other problems associated with too much exposure to the sun, but experts say people of color also are vulnerable to the harmful effects of ultraviolet (UV) rays emitted by the sun and indoor tanning beds. Darker skin has more pigment-making cells, which provide some inherent protection against UV rays, but not enough, said ...
Winds: From the SW at 11 MPH
Summer of Sam [DVD]
"Summer of Sam" finally lost me about two-thirds of the way through. As everyone probably knows, the "Sam" of the title refers to "Son of Sam" David Berkowitz, the serial killer who terrorized New York for more than a year in the late 1970s, stalking people and shooting them with a .44-caliber handgun because, as he claimed at the time, his neighbor's dog told him to. ...
The British space industry is being given a boost with confirmation that Britain's first official astronaut is to take part in a mission on the International Space Station in 2015. Major Tim Peake has undergone 14 months of rigorous training, which has included survival courses and exercises under water and underground. Now almost three years after graduating as an astronaut, the ...
Amateur rocketeer Ken Biba speaks at Maker Faire Bay Area on May 18, 2013. At left is the rocket he and his team built, which flew to more 104,000 feet in September ...
(28 mins ago) South Korea's Bae Sang Moon won his first US PGA title yesterday, firing a one-under par 69 to win the US$6.7 million Byron Nelson Championship by two strokes over American Keegan Bradley in Irving, Texas, in the US. In windy conditions at the TPC Four Seasons Resort course, the 26-year-old South Korean finished on 13-under 267 to hold off 2011 PGA Championship winner ...
MONTREAL - Candidates vying to replace departing Liberal MP Denis Coderre have been jostling for position ever since it was only a rumour he was going to run for the Montreal mayor's job. Coderre made his mayoral bid official Thursday and won't leave his MP office until June 1, however, the Liberal party has already received at least 25 resumes from interested candidates, according to ...
Most of the mice, gerbils and other animals Russia sent to space a month ago died in the flight meant to test the effects of extended periods of time in ...
They Said It
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
New York-New York Hotel & Casino
Awe struck us on our arrival at this relatively new hotel and casino establishment at the top of the Strip. ...Keep reading
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Manufacturing MirrorManufacturing Mirror | News Resource for the Manufacturing Industry
Breaking news from the world of manufacturing. This online newspaper has an extended scope, covering the industry and highlighting breaking news about manufacturers, products, sales, distribution, and personnel in the manufacturing and textiles sector. We additionally cover international news stories, and updates from the business world and global markets, in order to be a one-stop news resource for those interested in manufacturing.
In addition to our own resources, we take news from contracted wire services. We also spider external news sites such as manufacturing periodicals, industry organs, and general media, on an hourly basis, 24 hours a day, seven days a week to ensure our news is continually updated and refreshed.
For parties that require Manufacturing news headlines on their Web site we are happy to oblige, and have provided RSS feeds for this purpose. For readers wanting a daily email update of Manufacturing news delivered to their inbox, we provide this service on a daily basis, and it is complimentary.
We welcome your feedback. If you have any comments or suggestions about the Manufacturing Mirror, please forward them by using our Contact Us form.
Men are putting their best foot forward by kicking safe black socks to the curb in favor of bright colours and dashing prints.
According to 33-year-old Roland Gonzales, who works in finance, socks are a way that he can stand out at work.
The Brooklynite was spotted in Bryant Park flaunting a pair of pink and purple striped Paul Smiths that he wore at his wedding.
"Everyone wears the same sort of conservative uniform. This is a way to personalize my work wardrobe," he said.
Rob Kardashian rolled out his Arthur George line of attention-getting socks at Neiman Marcus last fall, and sales tripled in just the last six months, the New York Daily News reported.
Even the most conservative dressers are toeing the line.
When all five living American Presidents gathered in Dallas to dedicate the George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum last month, George H.W. Bush stole the show with his pink power socks.
On TV's 'Mad Men,' senior partner Bert Cooper walks the office shoeless to show off those pastel argyle print stockings that have become his signature.
Men's wear boutiques are starting to put more stock in socks.
"A man's socks can really make a statement," Gabrielle Greco, the senior buyer of accessories at Jack Threads, a members-only men's wear website said. ...
- Holden VF Commodore production begins
- BMW M5 M6 Competition Package boosts power to 423kW
- South Korean shares edge up on foreign buying autos gain
- Driver dead after logging trucks collide
- BMW 5 Series new engines added tech for updated luxury range
- Dreamliner Back in Action After Hiatus
- Hainan Airlines to add new routes to Abu Dhabi this summer
- US Airways Plane Belly Lands At Newark Airport
- Qantas find favour with business travellers while Virgin flies steady
- Airline passenger satisfaction improves to its highest levels since 2006
- United Nations publishes first plan for deep sea mining
- Chinas spot alumina price edges down further to Yuan 2530mt
- Australia teaches lessons on development from mining
- South Africas National Mineworkers Union proposes big wage increases
- Ghana creates new task force to fight illegal mining
- Engineering students build all-terrain vehicle for farmers
- Oxy awards Galfar two construction contracts
- Nuclear Resurgence Dims Due to Rising Costs Low Demand
- Red Line construction project gets started
- China Just Endorsed Construction Of Its Biggest Hydropower Dam Yet
- Ferro Reports 2013 First-Quarter Results
- Myers Industries reports decline in profits
- Asia Softs-Inventories weigh on rubber sugar premiums firm
- Report raises fears over plastic foam dinnerware
- LyondellBasell to Discuss First-Quarter Results April 26
- Low rates to lift home building report
- Inside ‘Nazi town’ How far-Right activists in East Germany are building an enclave of extremism
- UN human rights chief welcomes building and fire safety accord in Bangladesh
- Guest Building a community to close the education achievement gap
- UN chief ready to boost peace process trust building on Korean Peninsula spokesman
- Connecticut commuter rail collision injures 72
- Exhausted 58-yr-old Aussie sailor rescued by cargo ship in middle of Pacific Ocean
- Delays From Connecticut Rail Crash Likely to Last Days
- Emirates SkyCargo Wins Best Air Cargo Carrier Middle East Award
- India to deploy armed guards in buses for safety of women travellers
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Manufacturing Mirror headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Colourful socks trending among fashion loving men
- Tanzania Battling It Out in the World of Fashion
- CSIRO suggests robotics solutions to boost manufacturing competitiveness
- Toronto factory sticks to its knitting – for 87 years
- Fashion types bring flair to prince’s Connecticut polo match